Saturday, 23 July 2011

MI PRIMERA SEMANA EN EL MTC - 23 JULY 2011

iHola!
I'm here at the MTC and it's awesome. I got stuck in a room at about 1:30 am on tuesday night with temporary companions Elder Dauphin from Tahiti and Elder Gonzales from Texas. Luckily both spoke English. I finally went to bed maybe around 2:00 or 2:30 and i still had to get up at 6:30 the next day!! I was super tired. We got a little headstart on some orientation stuff with the other missionaries and eventually got given our nametags. COOLEST THING EVER!!!! They had these orange dots on em that told people we were new until last night. Mine says
ELDER BLOMFIELD
LA IGLESIA DE
JESUCRISTO
DE LOS SANTOS
DE LOS ULTIMOS DIAS
I moved my stuff to my new room and went to my classroom where we spend most of our time. There are 12 elders and 2 sisters in my district. We have class time and study time with our district every day. My companion is Elder Hague (pronounced hayg) and he was called as our District Leader! He's super cool and we get along really well. He's from near Orlando, Florida. Our roommates are Elder Cowger from Oklahoma and Elder Carlson who lived in Hong Kong for 5 years cause his parents work for the state department. They're really cool too. We laughed our heads off our first night so became close fast.
It's crazy because we aren't allowed to leave our companions for anything. It's not bad though. Even when Elder Hague goes to the bathroom I have to stand outside unless it's the one by our residence. Everyday we have personal and companion study time that we plan the night before. We can study Preach My Gospel, (Predicad Mi Envangelio in espanol), The Book of Mormon (El Libro de Mormon), our language books, the missionary handbook, and other stuff. It's sweet. Our teachers are Hermano (brother) Bell and Hermana (sister) Esplid. I didn't realize this but they teach us everything. I thought language and missionary stuff was going to be separate, but it's the same! Right off the bat they constantly spoke Spanish. 99% of what they say is in Spanish, and for the most part we can understand it! I've forgotten a lot and need to work on my speech. It's super cool though. They gave us 2 copies of pretty much everything in both languages, and they gave us nice Spanish scriptures like the new English ones I got. I've memorized JSH 1:16-17 in English and Spanish, as well as our purpose as missionaries in both languages, and D&C 4 in English. Yesterday me and Elder Hague taught our first lesson to some other missionaries and it went really well. It was in English though. Then they taught us in Spanish. Our entire zone is made up of intermediate Spanish speaking elders and sisters, and it may get advanced speakers. It's so cool to see how my understanding of Spanish is increasing tons already because the Lord has blessed me with the Spirit. My roommates and companion and I speak Spanglish all the time which is pretty awesome.
This week has been different than all the other weeks will be because it was the first week. My P-day will normally be on Thursday but we had a half P-day today instead this week. It's so nice cause we get almost 3 hours free time!! It's crazy how busy we are. I had almost no sleep right off the bat and then it was worse when Elder Hague, Elder Cowger and I talked til almost midnight two nights ago. I'm super tired. It seems so crazy how well the missionaries who have been here for a while can speak Spanish already. It seems like such a big task right now but I'm super excited. I'm starting to think a little bit in Spanish and keep having to remind myself that I'm writing English. It's sweet! I can pray and bare my testimony in simple Spanish too.
I really like the food here! I've heard people complain but having lived away from home I appreciate people making my food for me. I've eaten healthy and avoided most of the junk. I figure I'd rather not go into Chile with an extra 20 pounds.
It's super easy to feel the Spirit here and I love being a missionary. I was homesick the first 2 nights but only at night and last night I wasn't at all. I think it's good cause I have really cool roommates and a really cool companion. I know that God lives and loves us. He sent His Son to die for us and atone for our sins. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that this church is the true church. The Book of Mormon is true and brings us happiness. I can't wait to become a better missionary and serve the Lord better.
I'm sorry I can't ask questions but I only have half an hour!! I miss you and love you so much!
iAdios!
Elder Blomfield