Tuesday, 17 April 2012

CONFERENCE - 2ND APRIL 2012


Family! I figured out how to get pictures off my SD card, so I've attached a few. Some with my old companion, Elder Nogales, and Carola's baptism with our Ward Mission Leader going to baptize her, and some with Elder Arancibia and Ana's baptism. I also sent one with me and the Bishop's family from La Florida.

Dad! I loved conference. Like you, I loved Elder Holland's talk. BOOM! It made me think a lot abot how I need to be more humble and overcome my pride. That's a shame about those guys back in England. Something really interesting about people who go against the church, is that nobody leaves the church or goes apostate if they are keeping the commandments. If we read the Book of Mormon and pray daily, and participate actively in our callings and church programs, we won't just get up and leave. Some recent convert here had some questions about some stuff, and turns out it was anti-mormon. It was really complete garbage as every one of the arguments the guy posed against the church was terrible, but something interesting, is that someone can always try to attack us and prove that our church is false or whatever, but nobody can show where the truth is if we don't have it! It's like, "Congratulations on putting together a half-wit anti-mormon argument and criticizing the church and it's leaders, but would you be so kind as to show me which church is true then?" If people only base their faith on the "invalidity" of other churches, they will find that their own religion will be torn apart as well. Sunday afternoon, Russell M. Nelson basically destroyed anyone that says God doesn't exist. Basically everything points to the fact that God exists, and it is impossible that all was a fluke, using our bodies as an example of God's love. Something I've thought of a lot recently, is that without faith in God, we base our lives in the knowledge and discoveries of man. The scriptures are replete of stories of people who did that and were destroyed. Our scientific knowledge is so limited that one small change or new discovery could change the whole way we view reality and figuratively pull the carpet out from underneath us. For example, the discovery that the earth was round and not flat basically changed reality for people who based their existence in man's ideas. We can be so ignorant in thinking that the little knowledge we have disproves the existence of God, but one day we will all know, everything will make sense, and we will have to confess that Jesus is the Christ. Also, good luck explaining the physical evidences that do point towards the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. Although people can attack the church all day, like you said, spiritual knowledge, even if it appears to go against the physical or scientific knowledge that we have, is more powerful, as said Elder Paul B. Pieper Sunday afternoon. I love this scripture. It's really powerful and I love to refer to it when Satan tries to attack my testimony.

D&C 6:22 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things.
 23 Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?
 
24 And now, behold, you have received a witness; for if I have told you things which no man knoweth have you not received a witness?


I also loved David A. Bednar's talk in Priesthood (I just watched it now cause we couldnt on Saturday). It's awesome. I love how he drops the cane on us as priesthood holders. We really should magnify it more. I'm happy you all enjoyed the hotel and everything, sounds like a blast! What are you going to go in Texas with the oil company? You're travelling all over the place!! I'm glad you've been using my being on a mission to share the gospel. Any luck with that guy from St. Neot's? I love you Dad! You're the best father I could ever have.


Mum! I'm glad you liked conference, I LOVED it!! Sounds like you had a blast this week though with spring break!! Man! Was Hunger Games good? I heard good things about the book. Thanks for the pictures by the way, I remember sitting there when I was younger and I didn't used to like conference because it was just a bunch of old men speaking about boring stuff, but now I love it!!! I wish we had conference more often!! It's weird that Michael's gonna be signing up for housing now and everything. Has it hit you yet that he's leaving soon? It'll be weird for you I bet, having only 4 kids in the house. I really loved what M. Russell Ballard said about the family and how important it is. He said that if we focus on family life, we are blessed in every part of life. It was awesome! A lot of people, and I see it everyday, forget the importance of the traditional family unit, and don't have the faith to form a legitimate family because of fear of commitment or economic problems. What they don't seem to understand is that there are sometimes children involved, and a commitment that is bigger than marriage has already been done by having those children, and those children deserve stably married parents. It made me happy to read about all the time the family has been spending together, because as President Monson said, that is what really matters. You've always been such a great mother and I'll always remember the time spent with you, especially just staying up late talking.

Michael! . I don't know what was my favourite talk, because I still havent seen all of priesthood session. I did love Richard G. Scott's talk about receiving revelation. I also loved Elder D. Todd Christofferson's. Dude, I know what you're saying about bowling. I'm hit and miss at bowling. Sometimes I can kick trash, but more often that not I'm terrible. I still love bowling though! That would be sweet to go the the temple. I wanna go so bad!! Are you getting excited for BYU? Dude you're gonna have a blast! I'm excited for you. Love you!

Charly! You guys had such an awesome Spring Break!! Hunger Games is rated best movie in the world? Like best movie of the year or best movie ever?? What happens in it? How did your brackets fall off? I'm glad you had so much fun. I loved Russell M. Nelson's talk too!! It was so awesome. I talked a little bit about it in my answer to Dad's email. I loved how he just boom roasted anyone who believes in man more than in God. Love you Charly!

Jake! That's cool you went to the science center. It's new? What's different? It's so cool there. Are you getting better at badminton? One day you'll beat Dad. That dinner sounds good. I love shrimp! Did you like going to Priesthood Session? I'm listening to it right now, and it is incredible. I like how they talked so much about the importance of doing stuff as priesthood holders. Was it fun in the hotel? Sounds like it. We're lucky to have such great parents that would do that for us. I love that we have such an awesome family. It's basically the best one in the world. Love you bud!

So this week was a crazy week!! We hardly had any time for proselyting. We found out on Tuesday morning in district meeting that there was a new missionary training meeting for all the missionaries with less than 6 months the next day. I felt so old as I was one of the 5 missionaries of the 14 in my zone that didn't go. Our zone is really young. Wednesday morning we went to Concepci√≥n to drop off my companion, and to meet up with the zone leader, Elder Bracken, who was also dropping of his comp (the zone leaders are split up in this zone). We had to go get stuff figured out for his visa, then returned to Coelemu to work. We had a short day, but it was awesome! We worked awesome together and had a blast.  The next morning we went to Tom√©, and worked a little bit over there, then got back to Coelemu with my companion at like 8:30 at night. The next day we worked, but Saturday and Sunday we had conference and little time to work, seeing as the conferences were from 1 to 3, and 5 to 7. We had some people committed to come on Sunday, but they ran into problems. Claudia had to wait for Gregory to come back from visiting some place out of town, and I don't think he got back in time. No one that committed ended up showing up. It was sad... We watched the conferences on the Branch President's plasma screen through the internet, but unfortunately we couldn't watch Priesthood session. We showed up to watch it at 9 on Saturday night, but then found out they weren't broadcasting it through internet.

I passed to Silver level with this program the mission started a little over a month ago with memorizing the concepts, committments, and scriptures in the missionary lessons. I passed bronze a few weeks ago. Silver means I memorized all the main headings from the sample lesson plans in Preach My Gospel from lessons 1-3, along with the commandments from lesson 4 and the commitments with each lesson. I also had to memorize word for word every sub-concept and scripture reference, being able to describe the content of every scripture reference that went along with it. Gold means we have to memorize word for word every scripture of 3 verses or less on top of that. The program is to help us understand the doctrine, and follow Preach My Gospel when it says that we should memorize scriptures and the order of concepts in the lessons, but we aren't supposed to just recite things we memorize. I feel like it's helped give me a greater understanding of the doctrine we teach and where to find the supporting scriptures in the standard works. I've also gained a greater comprehension of the importance of the lessons in helping people progress towards baptism.

General Conference was AWESOME!! I learned the importance of following the Spirit, and felt a greater need to love my investigators. I believe that if I love them more, they will be more receptive, and I will be more willing to help them in their eternal progress. I have to help my investigators understand the importance of our message in their eternal well being. I shouldn't be discouraged with rejection, but I should be sad, as it is people rejecting an opportunity for happiness and ultimately their salvation. I'm trying to exercise more patience, and I'm trying to put myself in others' shoes without judging or jumping to conclusions. I know I will have more success if I change the class of person I am and if I change to become more like Jesus Christ.

We're planning on travelling to some small little communities outside of Coelemu where people probably haven't heard the missionaries for a long time. It's going to be a big investment of time, but I'm confident that there are people there who will receive us, especially because they haven't seen the missionaries for so long.

I hope you all loved General Conference as much as I did! It was so great. It's better than Christmas. We had the opportunity to listen to real live prophets and apostles, and we received divine instruction from the Lord through his authorized servants. I know this is the Church of Jesus Christ and that He guides it. The Book of Mormon is true, and Joseph Smith was a prophet. Sharing the gospel brings the greatest joy ever. I know the Lord loves us and is always thoughtful of us. He gives us so many blessings, and we can see them if we just open our eyes and soften our hearts.

Thanks everyone for your support! I love you all so much!! Keep praying for me!

Elder Blomfield