Sunday, 28 October 2012

THINGS ARE LOOKING UP - 22ND OCTOBER 2012



Family! Thank you so much for writing me.

Dad! Hahaha that's funny what you said about the sister missionaries. Sometimes it can be a little bit of a struggle here with that. There are some sisters that are struggling constantly but don't do anything to change it, and don't really have any desires to try harder or any efforts to be more dedicated. There are others that are always working really hard and doing an incredible job. There are sisters that come to really serve the Lord, and there are sisters who come just to come I think. Same with the Elders, but it seems to be more of a spread with the Elders. I'm glad you and Mum liked working in the temple. That's funny about your face hurting hahaha. Grandma and Grandad Blomfield are gonna be temple workers too?? That's so awesome! Make sure you send me a bunch of pictures from the cultural celebration and fill me in with everything, especially what the prophet says.

Mum! Seems like the computer's been quite a pain. I dunno why it didn't send that stuff. I got the letters though!! You've never have a speeding ticket??? Any luck with bringing people to the temple? I'm not gonna be able to watch the broadcast cause I have a baptism on Saturday and I don't think I would get permission anyway. I'm so excited that we're gonna have a temple there! Does everyone get to hear the dedicatory prayer? Who's Paul Ryan? That's so cool I have a little cousin once removed! That's so exciting for everyone. That's cool that Joseph and Jennie are gonna be fostering! So many babies. I'm sure you'll see the fruits for your missionary labours, Mum, especially now that so many people went through the temple! Grandad might have to have bypass surgery? When? Mum you have to explain to me what the heck is Omnikin cause I have no idea. You could try sending it on the cd, I think that'd be fine! What talk is it? Anything that's edible, especially chocolate, would be great. I think it would be cool to send some little mini Canadian stuff do give to some people here. I can't believe Kurt gets back so soon... I feel so old. Thanks for everything you do Mum. Love you so much! By the way, anything from facebook or anything I need to know? Are there any chilenos that have added me?

Michael! That's too bad about your laptop. I hope you manage to get it fixed! It would be a right pain trying to survive in university without a laptop. You'd have to go and use  the library computers or something. I've never been to Lagoon. Sounds like you're having a blast down there!! I'm so stoked for you. So what are your thoughts about your mission? If you feel like you need to go this next semester. GO! Don't worry about anything else. I can't believe your going to Vegas hahaha. That'll be a blast. Behave yourself haha. How are your grades? Your scripture studies? Love you bro!

Charly! Nice job in volleyball! Do you like volleyball a lot? It's a lot of fun. Are you nervous for the cultural celebration?? You'll do a great job I'm sure. You're gonna be performing in front of the prophet! I'm so excited and jealous. I'm sure your hair looks fin haha. Where are you at in seminary right now? What are you studying? How are the scripture masteries coming? Learn em they help! Love you Char!!

Jake! That's good you liked conference. It's so cool being there. You really catch the vision of how big the church is!! I love it. Those people outside are ridiculous. I wonder how many un-converts they get each year haha. It's sad that they close their hearts and don't let the Spirit in. That's funny you got lost on the way to soccer. At least you got there and scored! Nice work. I feel bad for the other team. I love you Jake!

Alrighty! So this was a pretty good week. Last week I was really grateful for the baptisms we had, but I knew that I hadn't done the best of my efforts to keep the work moving along in my sector. This week we saw a lot of results though. On Tuesday morning, the President called and told us we needed to find at least 14 new investigators this week as zone leaders, each of the district leaders would need to find 12, and the rest would need to find 10 each. It was quite a lot to find 14, but we found 19 which was pretty good. We brought a bunch of people to church too, which was stake conference. We reached all our weekly goals! We were very blessed. I'm grateful that the Lord is with us in this work when we trust in Him and do our part.

Priscila, a 14-year-old friend of recent converts, is ready to get baptized this weekend. We were a little concerned that maybe she was only going to church because of her friends, but we found out that it's really not like that. She read a bunch. She was in 2 Nephi 5 on Saturday night. Her recent convert friends left to visit a missionary in Parral, but she went anyway. Her mum, Cecilia, explained to us that she believes in the Book of Mormon. She feels it's true, but has some questions and insecurities. She's evangelical so it's hard for her to leave behind her old way of thinking. She came to church for the second time. I think she'll probably get baptized next month. On Saturday we almost met her Dad, Luis, who also showed a lot of interest in supporting his daughter. He came to church too and loved it! He committed to read the Book of Mormon too. It's gonna be so awesome! Such an awesome family! I gained a testimony of the importance of using the members to find and teach, because if it hadn't been for that recent convert family, I think we never would have been able to taught them. Blessings!

On Tuesday, we were playing soccer at the church with converts and investigators, and there was one who was there who was watching but not playing. We've known him for a long time. He's a recent convert's son. I left my backpack and cell phone behind the net, and I was being goalie. I looked over at one moment and realized the phone was gone. The convert's son had gone to the bathroom. He's 30 something. He came back and we all started looking for it. He told me to search him and everything and got defensive. I'm pretty sure he stole it and hid in somewhere not in his clothes, cause he was the only one there. Also, supposedly he's stolen from his own sister before in order to buy drugs. He denied it and got mad too cause supposedly I was looking at him funny haha. It seems way to obvious that it was him cause he was the only one there and automatically put himself on the defensive. Oh well... We now have to wait to get another one. It's quite a shame.

Catherine and Francisco aren't doing so great. They were doing so good before but now not so much... After the cambio, the other Elders didn't visit them for almost 2 weeks, and Catherine got depressed. All their family stopped visiting them at the same time. They haven't gone now for 4 weeks. The first one, their son got really sick. Then Catherine had to work, then Francisco had an accident when a bus crashed into the bus he was in and had problems with his leg, and then this weekend supposedly their aunt got assaulted. I'm worried, cause their cell phones have been turned off on Sunday mornings for two weeks in a row. It could just be for specific things that keep happening by coincidence but I dunno. On Tuesday, Catherine came to play soccer and I talked to her there. She said she was feeling down and didn't want us to visit her anymore, even though she was gonna keep coming to church. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I'd ever heard. I was so sad. I love them so much and I know they have testimonies but I don't know how to help them. The Elders managed to visit them on Saturday though. I talked to Francisco yesterday and he said that Catherine feels better now and stuff but I'm still worried. Please pray for them.

One the other hand, Hector Torres gets the Aaronic Priesthood next week which will be awesome, and that family is doing great. they gave me this awesome gift, which was a plastic keychain thing with a picture of them being baptized on one side, and a picture of another family on the other side. It's so cool.

On Tuesday I got to do a minicambio with my son, Elder Silva, which was a really cool experience. It was cool to see how he's grown and developed as a missionary. I get along really well with him. He now takes the initiative a lot more and has learned a lot. I'm really proud of him. I like to brag to everyone telling them he's my son haha. He's a great missionary. I feel a special love for him seeing as I trained him.

Yesterday we ran into this one guy who knew A TON about the church. He had read and studied the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. It was crazy. He was the first person I've met who could really fight well with us. He quoted our own doctrine and threw tons of anti-mormon stuff at us. It was pretty intense. Apparently he had studied for 4 years trying to find out if the church was true, and said it isn't. He said he respected us for what we did as missionaries, but that we were in the wrong path. It was sad to see someone with so much knowledge reject the truth. I feel so blessed to have a testimony of the truth.

I love being a missionary. It's the greatest thing ever. Even though we run into tons of interesting situations, the Lord blesses us when we are faithful to Him. I love how we can communicate directly with the Lord through the Holy Ghost. He can answer our questions and guide us. I know He lives and that this is His church. I know Joseph Smith was a prophet, and I know the Book of Mormon is true. It's simple, and everything else just doesn't matter.

Thank you so much for your prayers and support. I love you tons! Please pray for Priscila and for Catherine and Francisco. I love you!!

¡Chao!

Elder Blomfield